Custom Wrapped Canvas

Monday, May 20, 2013

Getting Ready for Tournament - Short Game

It was a beautifully hot day today for practice.

Today was a good day to work on my short game from 100 yards in.

The golf course I practice at just modified the range to be able to work on this part of your game easier.

They placed yardage markers at the hitting area giving you distance to each flag.  They adjust it daily as they move the tees.  The markers are set to color coded flags that they also just put in.

So today I was able to start my drills for the short game shots 100 yards in.

They have three flags situated at 100, 75 and 50 yards:

Below is my workout:

  • Warm up
    • stretch
    • Hit half shots with 52 degree wedge
  • Hit full shots
    • 10 balls with my 60 degree
    • 10 balls with my 52 degree
    • 10 balls with my 9 Iron
    • 10 balls with my 6 Iron
    • 10 balls with my 3 Iron
    • 10 balls with my Hybrid 3
    • 10 balls with my 3 metal wood
    • 10 balls with my driver
After my warm up and going through the full shot routine I am loose and have my swing feel.  At that time I start to work on my short game.

  • 50 yard flag
    • Work on shots with slight draw
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
    • Work on shots with slight fade
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
  • 75 yard flag
    • Work on shots with slight draw
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
    • Work on shots with slight fade
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
  • 100 yard flag
    • Work on shots with slight draw
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
      • 9 iron
    • Work on shots with slight fade
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
      • 9 iron
By working on the 100 yard in shots with these variety of clubs helps me work my swing tempo for 1/4 swing to full swing.  This also, aids in learning distance control with a variety of clubs.

The main reason you want to learn to hit different shots to different distances with different clubs is that the rules only allow you to carry 14 clubs (one of which is a putter).  By practicing the shots above you have now increased your club count from 14 to 23 without adding any more clubs to your bag. 

You never know what the conditions of the course are or the weather.  Therefore by having the ability to use 14 clubs in your bag in a variety of ways increases your chances of scoring lower on the course.   It will also assist you in getting out of trouble when your ball goes off line.

The practice today went very well.  Along with completing the drills above, I also worked on my putting and chipping around the green.

Until next time, remember that the game of golf is 10 percent skill and 90 percent mental, so always be thinking of different ways to help your self out......


No comments:

Post a Comment