Custom Wrapped Canvas

Monday, April 7, 2014

Masters Time at Augusta - Getting Ready for Tournaments

Time for the Masters in April.

This is the PGA event I believe most of the golf world waits every year to see.  More so than both the US OPEN AND THE OPEN (British Open).

It's the mark of spring time with the Magnolia's at full bloom.  The excitement of will the favorites Phil, Tiger, or a new name come to light during the most prestigious event of the year.  After this event is over, all the professionals are not only trying to earn their money and keeping their cards, but they are hoping to be able to qualify for next years Masters!

You hear the media always talking what the top Pros are doing to get ready for the Masters.  They say this one plays an event two weeks before the Masters and the next two weeks is just preparing at his local course, or getting time at Augusta if he can.  This Pro plays the tournament before the Masters.  Either way they prepare for the Masters in different ways.  They all prepare for Tournaments and also in different ways. But, the most important part is they prepare.

Like anyone whether Pro or Amateur you have to prepare for a tournament.  The Pros prepare every week before an event and even more so for the Major's.

Amateurs, however, mostly don't prepare enough for their next tournament or any tournament for that matter.  The different reasons are usually, not enough time, would rather play then practice, but I feel the best reason is they don't know how.

Preparing for a tournament is really no different then preparing for a good round of golf.

I use the following to prepare for not only tournaments but for a good round of golf and just a good practice:
  • Warm up
    • stretch
    • Hit half shots with 52 degree wedge
  • Hit full shots
    • 10 balls with my 60 degree
    • 10 balls with my 52 degree
    • 10 balls with my 9 Iron
    • 10 balls with my 6 Iron
    • 10 balls with my 3 Iron
    • 10 balls with my Hybrid 3
    • 10 balls with my 3 metal wood
    • 10 balls with my driver
After my warm up and going through the full shot routine I am loose and have my swing feel.  At that time I start to work on my short game.

  • 50 yard flag
    • Work on shots with slight draw
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
    • Work on shots with slight fade
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
  • 75 yard flag
    • Work on shots with slight draw
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
    • Work on shots with slight fade
      • 60 degree
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
  • 100 yard flag
    • Work on shots with slight draw
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
      • 9 iron
    • Work on shots with slight fade
      • 56 degree
      • 52 degree
      • pitching wedge
      • 9 iron
Putting:
  • 8 balls 6 feet from hole
    • holed 75% putts
  • 5, 10, 15 feet drill
    • 20 minutes making 3 balls at each location in a row
  • 3 foot drill 8 balls
    • 50 balls in a row
  • lag drill
    • 30 foot putts
    • goal finishing putts either in hole or near hole within 1 foot
    • 75% of putts left inside 1 foot. 
When warming up for tournament the last step I go through on the range is how I will attack the first hole I am starting on.

I am ready for the Tournament or round.

As stated earlier most Amateurs use the excuse can't get there early enough to get some warm-up in, practice is over rated, and best of all I do better with no practice.

Until next time, learn to practice and watch yourself get better.......

No comments:

Post a Comment